Transport Policy and other Briefing Papers
As a former leading transport campaigner, David Spaven has developed a strong insight into key policy issues, in particular in the field of sustainable transport, and has helped campaigning and lobby groups to articulate their message.
- Conserving Natural Capital Ė the National Trust for Scotlandís peatlands: text written for general-interest brochure on the Trustís peatlands and carbon capture – Transform Creative / National Trust for Scotland (2015)
- Central Scotland Green Network: an overview of current activities to promote increased opportunities for walking and cycling; an assessment of gaps; and production of a Strategic Statement to prioritise future actions and speed up progress – Transform Scotland / Paths for All (2013)
- 'The Right to Clean Air': review of local air quality legislation and progress against air quality objectives for each of the four largest cities in Scotland, assessing the extent to which Air Quality Action Plans have tackled transport-related air pollution. – Transform Scotland (2010)
- National Speed Limit Reduction Proposal: research, writing and editing briefing paper on the carbon reduction benefits of reductions in the national speed limit – Scottish & Southern Energy / 2020 Business Delivery Group (2010)
- Sustainable Transport Policy Briefings: research and drafting of policy briefings on Air Travel, Edinburgh’s South Suburban Railway, Peak Oil & Transport, Scotland’s Railways, the Second Forth Road Bridge, Smarter Choices, Traffic Reduction and Transport Prices – Transform Scotland (2007)
- Urban Transport and Smart Growth / Regional Rail Renaissance: joint leader of professional study tours to California and the Pacific Northwest to examine innovative light and heavy rail responses to urban growth and rising traffic (2000)